Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Night 20

Modern Day Music.
I feel it is time that I face my feelings regarding modern day music. These days music is the worst. As soon as 2000 hit, it has been downhill since then. I can't even call what's on the radio these days music. I don't listen to the radio. I can't stand the beat, all they play is Kesha, Rihanna, and Katy Perry. They are some of the worst. Of course their music is catchy but the truth is anyone could had been these girls. It is all in how you are produced these days. They are manufactured and cut into what they think the public likes and these days ,which is "edgy". Whether it be stupid fucking costumes (clothing decisions), promiscuous lyrics or a saucy spread in a magazine, these music companies know what the mainstream of people like. That is the most disappointing thing of it all is this music is what most people like or else it wouldn't be popular music. I swear to god auto tune has ruined any chance of actual artists from getting noticed.
Anyone can sing now. They can sing with the help of millions of dollars equipment, popular styling and scripted interviews that show how "bad ass" these artists are and how they "don't care and just do what they do." Do what they do is one of the most miss used lines artists use these days. There is no way Rihanna and Avril Lavigne "do what they do", they do what their label tells them to do and because of the fame and fortune that has come from following a label they now believe that they are an individual instead of a product of the machine.
The songs are catchy, I have some on my Ipod but I would never go to one of these songs to help me through a tough day or to help me reminisce about some time in my life. "Tic Toc" and "please don't stop the music" are hardly lyrically genius, they just happen to have a static, familiar beat that people can relate to. The lyrics are empty and the beat is static, that sentence can describe 90% of all music these days and the worst part is when you hear these artists talk about their "work" and how it's so emotional for them to get these songs recorded. I have no problem if someone wants to make a catchy song but don't act like you wrote "Imagine" and that "blah blah blah" is masterpiece. At least be true to the shit that you produce and contribute to the world. If what you are is popular music, don't try to be anything else than what you are. You make music that drunk girls have sex to in the bathroom of a club or that douche bags fist pump to on the dance floor.
Lady Gaga, I like her, I find her stuff catchy and some what interesting because I don't really understand it but my issue withe her, is she is not as revolutionary as everyone makes her out to be. Madonna did it first and better because she didn't rely on ridiculous costumes to shock the world. Yes, she was vulgar her music was daring and she spoke without thought but that is what truly shocking is; words. Words shock people, we shouldn't base someones talent on a meat dress they wear to an awards show or how high their shoes are.
Lady Gaga is what she is, a replica, a revamped and reproduced form of an idol that she will never come close to when it comes to originality.
I think the worst abomination to music would have to be Kesha and Soulja Boy. How horrible can music get I ask you? This would be it. From the trash bag filth that is Kesha to the poser gangsters that try to pass the shit they make off as rap.
Dear god, Kesha? This is what music has come down to? Just singing about how drunk and silly you're going to act with your friends. Apart from the lyrics, I am not sure if I have ever heard a more irritating singing voice in my life. It's not even singing it's like she's speaking after getting numerously punched in the face over and over again. She sings and acts drunk all the time. She is an embarrassment and to call what she does music is a disgrace. And thank you Facebook, for one out of five status's is:

Before I leave, brush my teeth with a bottle of Jack
'Cause when I leave for the night, I ain't coming back

Thanks for that.

Soulja Boy, where does one begin? That is not rap. It can't be. Biggie would roll in his grave if he heard that shit:

I'm jocking on your bitch ass
And if we get the fighting
Then I'm cocking on your bitch ass
You catch me at your local party
Yes I crank it everyday
Haters getting mad cause
"I got me some bathing apes"

Excellent, rhyming jocking with cocking, how inspirational. And what the hell is bathing apes? I may not be very with it or hip but my god what could that possibly mean. Rap used to come from the heart and depict a hard life growing up, being in a gang, and being an actual gangsta but what haters does Soulja Boy exactly have? I, in no way envy his life, I know he will go to hell for what he has done to music. I am a hater merely in the sense that he tries to pass as a thug when in reality he is some ill produced, over blown, self indulged poser, and I hate that. It's like if you had Tupac or Biggie at the end of rap evolution, rap at it's best and then you went down to the very bottom of the evolution chart where rap would be at its worst, you would find Soulja Boy.
House and Trance. Maybe I just don't get it or don't understand the appeal. I know it's very popular these days but I just can't. I can't listen to a sequence of synthesized sounds and noises and go ape shit because "I love this song". I don't even know if I could distinguish one house song from another even if that is what I listened to. Maybe I require to much from my music? Music means too much to me to listen to Trance or House.
DJ's. I have a massive issue with DJ's. I don't find what they do music. They should not be considered an artist. they mix songs, tracks, and beats. They take from others to create something of their own. They are unexciting and a waste of time. I would never go to a Deadmau5 concert, I just could never get into it. I wait for the lyric that I love in a song or the guitar solo that blows my mind but with a DJ what would it be? Waiting for the synth break down and the mix of a Jay Z song? The worst is when it's some kid of a famous parent who gets paid to go to night clubs and push play on their Itunes playlist.
I am no one to tell anyone what music to like or what even constitutes music but my opinion is what it is.
My favorite era for music would be the 90's hands down. I like all types of music and from all time periods but as a collection, 90's was the best for me. You had the grunge really take hold with Nirvana, and Soundgarden and it was such a unique hard sound and then you had the bitch rock with women like Alanis Morisette and Meredith Brooks. Yes the lyrics were a little annoying but it was a revolution to what women could contribute to the music front, that they could stand with them men and complain as much as they did.
Oasis. Yes. Oasis was and is the shit. They, for me are the 90's. They are like modern day Beatles with drug filled and inspired lyrics, to very similar signing styles and song structure. So catchy as well.
You had the Backstreet Boys, N'Sync, Britney Spears and Ricky Martin. These artists are still around today but they were huge in the 90's, that was at the height of their success and fame. 90's were the boy and girl groups. So many started emerging, like 98 degrees, En Vogue, Hanson and Destiny's Child. You can't help but recognize the vast range the 90's had to offer, it had something for everyone and it was all done so well.

  1. Radiohead
  2. Eminem
  3. Green Day
  4. Mariah Carey
  5. Live
  6. Korn
  7. Biggie
  8. Cypress Hill
  9. Lenny Kravitz
  10. Matchbox 20
  11. Geto Boys
  12. The Fugees
  13. Barenaked Ladies
  14. Bush
  15. Slipknot
That is to just name a few. Even if you don't like the artists or the music they made, you can not stay ignorant to the fact that they reached a level of music that had never been reached before. They sounded 90's. What does that even mean, to sound 90's? The sound of the 90's wasn't just one sound, and that is why I loved it. You had love songs, boy groups, grunge, rock, alternative. They are such different genres but yet connected with the fact that they give off the essence of 90's. 90's means complaining, letting loose, saying what you want ,letting go of insecurities and facing the things in life that you hate most.
Back then. you didn't have to dig to find good music, good music was played mainstream, good music was alternative, rock and Indie.
The only thing I am grateful to today's popular music is that it has forced me to dig behind the scenes to find music worth listening to. Because of music these days I have discovered the love for Indie and Metal. These are two categories that I hadn't really dabbled in before the age of seventeen but now that is all I listen to. And I am not trying to be one of those hipsters who "never listen to the radio" and "only listen indie" so that they can be outside the box. Yes, that may be true of my music likings but I am not proud of the fact that I cannot listen to today's music, in fact it's embarrassing and sad that one cannot turn on the radio and find a decent playlist. Artists that help me through music these days.

  1. In Flames
  2. Coheed and Cambria
  3. Neutral Milk Hotel
  4. Soilwork
  5. Children of Bodam
  6. Elbow
  7. Muse
Without the shit that's out there today, I would never have found the bands that truly matter amongst all the dreary sludge that is 2000 music.

So here's to all you Kesha's and Akon's, thank you for not setting the bar high.

  +  = lots and lots of Grammy's.

No comments:

Post a Comment