Tuesday, March 11, 2014

The Hunger Pains. Fasting: End of day 1.

    After my decision to quit coke zero and coffee I have noticed that I feel better then ever. Don't get me wrong, there are days that I would kill for a $1 drink from McDonald's or a cup of coffee but I know it's not worth it. The biggest differences I have noticed is that I no longer crash at about 3 or 4 p.m., where I would usually have had another cup of coffee to pick me back up. I also noticed that I look younger! Hallelujah! Have I found the fountain of youth? Maybe not quite but still I have no puffiness in my face, my pores are smaller, no bloating and no dark circles under my eyes. I would also like to take this time to formally apologize to my kidneys and urinary system for the years of abuse, I can only imagine how grateful they are right now.
Making that change was one of the best decisions of my life so I started to think what else I could change to better myself. I've decided to completely cut out processed foods and this means anything that has more then one ingredient. I don't need to buy almond milk, I can make my own. Did you know that real almond milk should last 2 days not 30? Shocking! but even the health food industry is out to make money to, so who can  you trust? You can trust yourself and what you make. All though the produce is not always what it seems to be; is everything claiming to be natural and organic these days? but at least you have much more control over what you put into your body.
I felt like I needed a cleansing of my system before starting this new way of life so I decided to go on a 5 day fast. 5 days might not seem like a lot in the grand scheme of things but I know that not eating for 4 hours drives me insane. There are people who fast for 30 days! I truly commend them for the will power and ability not to murder every single person they see within that time period.
I started my fast yesterday March 10. 14. So far so good. Yesterday I was pretty hungry because I would usually wake up, have a big bowl of oatmeal with fruit and almond milk so my little tummy was screaming for breakfast. The day went by pretty okay. I had tea and water but the real trouble started when I was trying to sleep. I don't know if that's because my body was cleansing out toxins or that I was so damn hungry I couldn't sleep. One thing I didn't count on was the difficulty to drink fluids when you don't eat. I'm not thirsty at all! and when I do drink cold water, it shocks my stomach and I can feel it contract even more. I can basically only drink warm water and tea but even that is a challenge.
I have done some research into fasting and the benefits seem to be to good to pass up, in fact many people suggest doing a 5 day fast every month.
They say the first 1-2 days of a fast is when you feel a detox effect from your digestive organs and liver. Day 3-5 your body goes into organ repair mode. I'm resting my bodies organs so now instead of trying to repair themselves while working they can focus solely on repairing themselves.
The only down side of fasting besides the hunger pains is the loss of muscle mass, which kind of goes against my goal of gaining weight but I feel that before I can continue my journey I need a reset.
It's the morning of Day 2 and I'm feeling pretty good, counting down the hours but good. I just have to get past Day 3 and then I figure it will be smooth sailing. Wish me luck! I'll check in tomorrow if I haven't fainted. May the force be with you all!

P.S.
I tried doing half an hour of cardio yesterday and it was a horrible decision. I got through 25 minutes and stopped. If I want my body to be relaxed and repair itself the worst thing I can do is stress it with exercise. I'll see you at the gym on Saturday where I can weigh myself to see how much muscle I've lost!

No comments:

Post a Comment