Wednesday, March 19, 2014

The Hunger Pains: Life After Fasting.

I'm alive!!!
I survived the fast and can I say that I miss it? On Saturday when my fast was over I started my day by going to the gym and weighing myself and the final number for muscle/fat lost was 8lbs also keep in my mind my body was retaining no fluid as I had no sodium in my system. After the gym I went grocery shopping and picked a bunch of fresh fruit, veggies and nuts for my week of eating. I was actually a little nervous about eating  and wasn't really looking forward to it. I wanted to make sure that I was going to feed my body the proper foods to wake my digestive system up. That Saturday I ate nuts, an egg, fruit and some lettuce. Very, very small portions as well. Can I tell you that my body sure felt weird with food going back into it. It felt as if my intestines were a flat balloon and all of a sudden air was being blown into it and they were popping back up. All though I thought I was eating pretty safely, the sulphur dried fruit in the nut mix had a horrible reaction in my stomach. I started cramping and bloating very badly. I expected some bloat to come as I was introducing food back in but I was eating very little but was very bloated. This lasted into Monday. I have been eating very conservatively but on Tuesday night I went out for a birthday dinner. I decided to eat almost none of Tuesday so that I would have plenty of room for dinner but do you know what happens when you don't eat? Your stomach shrinks to the size of a walnut. I should had known better but I pigged out and am currently suffering the bloating/cramping side effects still.
I'm really trying to figure out the best diet for myself and I learned something the other day that made me come up with a theory.
Foods can be broken down into three simple categories: Fat, protein and carbs. I was told that vegetables and fruit are carbs and for some reason this never dawned on me but if it's not protein or fat then it must be a carb. With this theory, if you were to eat a 100% veggie and fruit.diet, that would mean that you are eating a 100% carb diet. This diet works for only certain people but from what I found by eating veggies/fruit for two weeks and eating whatever I wanted for two weeks is that there was no difference for me!! No weight lost or gained. Obviously one is more healthy but by how much if it's not actually doing anything for my body? The best diet that I have found that works for me is high fat, with moderate protein and low carbs and if you are going to eat tons of veggies, add a lot of olive oil and avocados and if you're going to eat a lot of fruit, add a lot of full fat Greek yogurt. I'm talking 11% full fat Greek yogurt. The only brand I've found that has this high of a fat percentage is Krema. It's got a ton of fat and protein but little carbohydrates. If you compare the full fat Greek yogurt to 0% Greek yogurt, the calories are virtually the same but what one lacks in fat and protein the other makes up with the replacement of sugar and high carbs. There is always the 35cal per serving Source yogurt but my god what is that exactly giving my body? The Greek yogurt is light and tangy and honestly I could eat tub after tub. I do also think that veggie fruit need a medium of fat/protein for the body to utilize and digest the food for all the properties that they have.
I shall continue this diet for the next few weeks and let you know how it goes. As it stands right now, I will be doing a fast every month from 3-5 days as I believe it is an integral part to physical and mental health.
May the force be with you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment