Saturday, April 19, 2014

Chocolate is EVERYONE's best friend

  Just for a little bit longer I'd like to focus on diet and recipes, I don't have too many more so don't worry ;). The next one I'd like to share is chocolate. What girl doesn't like chocolate? I don't, or at least not the conventional chocolate that is so sweet and contains so many unnatural and unnecessary ingredients. Sure, you can go organic but who can afford $7 for a chocolate bar? Especially in this day in age where inflation is not being properly balanced and food is getting more expensive but wages remain the same. I didn't just want to make home made chocolate with sugar and milk but I wanted a bare, basic and simple recipe that would take hardly no time but most importantly it had to taste good. If it doesn't taste good you're just always going to go back to that habit, that thing that tasted the best in your mind so I wanted to replace that craving with a healthy one.

We all know the great benefits of coconut oil. Here is some to list a few:

-In cooking as a great oil with a high smoke point. Great for baking, stir-frys or as a dairy free replacement to butter.
-Taken supplementally for daily energy
-As a coffee creamer when emulsified into coffee (The only way I’ll drink coffee)
-On the skin as a basic lotion
-In homemade lotion bars for soft, smooth skin
-In homemade deodorant or deodorant bars
-As an eye-makeup remover
-As a cloth diaper safe diaper cream (just rub on baby’s bottom)
-In making your own Remineralizing Toothpaste
-To lighten age spots when rubbed directly on the skin
-To prevent stretch marks during pregnancy
-To support healthy thyroid function
-In homemade Mayo without the high PUFA vegetable oils
-To help increase sun tolerance and avoid burning
-As a naturally SPF 4 sunscreen

Is there anything this stuff can't do? What an incredible product. I think we really need to draw inspiration from simpler times and use/incorporate the natural, holistic things that were available and coconut oil is a great start!
I personally love this stuff and use it for a lot. If you use a lot like I do, I suggest buying online wholesale or at Costco. Just make sure you're buying organic, raw etc. Check the labels! I don't want to see anybody ripped off or scammed into buying a product that isn't natural because it is misrepresented.
I've made this recipe a couple times in the last month and I think I've figured out the perfect proportions:


3/4 cup coconut oil
3/4 organic dark cocoa powder
1/4 cup of stevia/krisda (all natural sweetner)
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon of salt

-Melt the coconut oil in a double boiler over medium heat. If you don't have a double boiler, no problem, I don't either. I put a pot on the element with some water and place a metal bowl over top.
-Once the coconut oil is melted add the cocoa powder, stevia, honey and salt. Make sure you're using a nice dark organic cocoa powder. You can also use all honey or all stevia. I found that using all honey was very hard to mix in and adding all stevia made it too sweet. Make sure that you have the mix over heat for about 15 minutes, stirring and incorporating everything very well. If it's not properly incorporated the honey will sit on the bottom of the chocolate. After everything has been nicely mixed together, pour the chocolate onto a baking sheet lined with tin foil and pop it in the fridge to set. I just keep it in the fridge and break off a piece when I want. It has a toffee like consistency with a great chocolaty taste. Fee free to add anything you like, almonds, vanilla, orange zest or dried fruit, the combinations are endless! Easy, simple ingredients and what a treat I tell ya! Tell me please if you'd rather have a kit kat or aero after trying this.

2 comments: