Friday, April 18, 2014

Yes, I'll have a large pizza, hold the MSG!

  As of late I have been on this natural path of diet and lifestyle. The next few blogs will focus on food and recipes as I have a couple of good ones I'd like to share with you all. I'm not a chef but these few coming up are just too good to keep to myself. There are so many products that I love but just wouldn't eat or use because the ingredients were so processed and so unnatural. For me, food was very important because I wanted to eat what tasted good but that was also good for you. Ever needed a dictionary to read an ingredient list? Well no more! Say goodbye to all that junk because what I have found is that the natural is the best way, not only because of the benefit for your body but for your wallet too. I have found that I don't even enjoy eating out any more. When I do eat out, afterwards I am extremely thirsty. The amount of salt and MSG in foods is mind blowing, even in the highest quality and most expensive restaurants you find it laced with these two killers.
The first recipe I created was for pizza because my loved one absolutely adored pizza and would order it from dominoes. After a little research this is what we found (courtesy of foodbabe.com):

Hidden MSG in Pizza
I'm sorry but  I thought pizza was a pretty straight forward thing to make. I didn't think it would take all these ingredients to create something so simple. I just didn't feel right about him eating this so I did some hunting around the web and took inspiration from the simplest of recipes. In the end this is the recipe I came up with:

Mix:
1 package of yeast
2 tablespoons of all natural sugar
1 1/2 cups of very warm water

Let that sit for 10 min with a cloth over the bowl.

Then mix in:
3 3/4 cups of multi grain flour
3 tablespoons of olive oil
1 teaspoon of salt

Mix all together but do not over mix. spread and work dough out onto a baking sheet and voilà the dough is done!!! Super easy and about a million times better then take out or ready made cardboard pizza shells from the grocery store.

For the sauce I've tried many things but the be all end all is:

1 5.5 oz can of tomato paste.
Add enough canned pizza sauce until you get the right consistency you like for the sauce.
1 tablespoon of oregano.
1 teaspoon of salt.
1 teaspoon of pepper.
1 teaspoon of garlic powder.
1 tablespoon of all natural sugar.

That's it! Sometimes I even add in some sriracha for a bit of a kick. Also be careful when buying tomato paste and tomato sauce, make sure the only ingredients are tomatoes and water as many of thee products have flavourings and other ingredients. Then all you do is add cheese (or no cheese) and all the toppings you want!!!
Bake on the middle rack for 25 min at 350 degrees. Turn on broil, put the pizza pan on the top rack for 3 minutes, turn the pizza around so that the other side also crisps up and broil for another 3 minutes. After all is said and done, you have a Delicious and healthy pizza. Your taste buds will notice the difference right away and instead of liking the pizza because of the MSG playing tricks on the mind, you like the pizza because it actually TASTES GOOD!
I can`t wait to share all my favourite recipes with you all. I want to see all my friends the happiest, healthiest and prosperous they can be, one recipe at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment