Tuesday, January 5, 2016

The Nurses Diaries: You've Been Nebulized!

 As a nurse funny and uncomfortable things happen all the time and I have accepted this. I have accepted the fact that I will almost always be in awkward and uncomfortable situations and have learnt to enjoy them as it seems to bring some spontaneity to an otherwise predictable day.
Case in point a few weeks ago, a young boy, maybe 5 years old comes into the clinic with his mom and dad at around 6 pm. He's kind of sick, has a cough and doesn't feel good and really playing it up but of course the parents are treating him like he's on his death bed.
The Dr asks me to give him some normal saline, which is just salt water via a nebuliser, for all of you who don't know what that is, it's an oxygen mask that you put on the face that delivers medication in the form of vapour.
I get everything all set up, put the saline in the nebuliser fit the mask on his face, everything looks good to go or so I thought. I pushed the on button and the saline shot out of the mask right into his face like a geyser and because the mask was secured around his head with elastics it literally blasted him directly in the mug. This is not high pressure nor did he get hurt, it's basically someone shooting you in the face with a low powered water gun but he jerked his head back and started crying so hard as if he lost a leg. I had to stop myself from laughing because it just looked so hilarious and he was playing the sympathy card hard. The father and mother looked at me like I was a monster but listen stuff happens and he was fine so can we please appreciate your sons contribution to the film society and award him with his academy award because he was given a performance like the rent was two months due, I mean, Meryl Streep watch out, we have a newcomer on the acting scene.
I told Bradley the story later that day and he told me I should had told the boy, "You've been nebulized," that would had been the perfect thing to say, like the one liners in an action movie before the main character throws a grenade. Oh well, there's always next time. There are plenty of kids out there that need a good nebulizing.


No comments:

Post a Comment